- Yamaha's YPAO speaker adjustment is spot on.
- Handles HDR and UHD easily intuitively and easily.
- Not intuitive for setup and communication with the other components.
- The remote is overly complicated, with small buttons.
- Supports Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.
- MCACC auto-tuning and full band phase control are able to provide you with crystal-clear sound. These two systems can reduce the phase lag.
- The operational power consumption is 310 W.
- The total power output is 760 W, which is quite high, and it is enough for everyone to enjoy their favorite music tracks.
- MCACC auto-tuning may be not enough and you may need to tweak it manually.
- The users menu a bit complex and you need time to get used to it.
- High-quality sound and possibility to perform a great picture.
- The presence of 40 AM/FM stations allowed listening to all the music styles.
- Bluetooth, AirPlay, and Wi-Fi work well, without unexpected falling down.
- Its weight (43 pounds) and size (17.8 x 17.1 x 7.9 inches) do not contribute its practicability.
- The sound may disappear from time to time, and the reset process can fix a problem.
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A
- The remote was with a backlit.
- All the ports were HDCP 2.2 compatible.
- Dolby Atmos influenced the sound height. It seemed to me, that the objects from the movie were above me.
- Amazon Alexa didn’t obey me.
- Bluetooth worked with interruptions.
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A
- 3D pass-through feature available.
- The change between the inputs is quick and smooth.
- Strong build and features set.
- This receiver is incredible, easy setup, custom menus have been simplified to be much easier.
- No Three-zone capability feature.
Onkyo TX-RZ920: High-end Features in the Robust Housing
The Onkyo TX-RZ920 is the AVR that provides the surround sound of multi-channel audio and home theater system. It produces 135W per channel and delivers both object-based audio and stereo sound reproduction of the same high quality.
The receiver is large (17.1 x 17.1 x 7.2 inches) and heavy (36 pounds). It comes with the remote, manual, AM and FM antennas, room EQ mic, power cord, and batteries in the package. This model is remarkable for durable binding posts to connect wires without fuss. However, they are placed farther apart than usually, that’s why banana plugs don’t fit.
The hotkeys are on the right side of the front panel. This model is remarkable for many buttons on the front panel to do manual setups. However, they are small and it’s rather difficult to read them in a dimly lit room.
The receiver has 9 channels of amplification and 11 channels of processing. It’s possible to run 7.1.2 or a 7.1.4 configurations, having one or two 2-channel amplifiers respectively.
According to the Onkyo TX-RZ920 specs, it supports HDR10 , as well as 3D pass-through and Dolby Vision capability. However, it isn’t able to decode them (e.g. a Roku playing Netflix in Dolby Vision).
The AVR gladdens with Chromecast and Apple Airplay support to enjoy streaming platforms’ content.
The AVR’s high-quality amplifier features stable performance. Due to Onkyo's Advanced Music Optimizer, the receiver can play MP3 or AAC files flawlessly through the home theater system.
The unit vents well and doesn’t run hot. Pushing it hard, the receiver becomes only warm.
The sound quality is seamless. It’s crisp and expansive regardless of the files’ audio formats. The AVR features auto loudness correction, as well as bass and treble control. The THX mode brings the sound of even old records to new levels the way they play around with different channels. The background sounds in movies are extremely clear and distinct.
The Onkyo TX-RZ920 AV receiver comes with 8 HDMI inputs, phono input, and analog pre-outs. Note that two separate HDMI sources can be displayed on two different TVs simultaneously. Besides, the unit allows changing the name of the input on the display to correctly identify the components that are connected. One input is under the front flip-down panel for hooking up a video camera or other device.
This receiver also has both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to connect your phone to in order to play streaming services but not to connect wireless speakers. It lacks MHL input and it doesn’t support Amazon Alexa.
The Onkyo TX-RZ920 stereo receiver allows using the room equalization tool and making corrections via AccuEQ with the AccuReflex system before running.
It’s designed with the three-zone capability, but the two-zone configuration is also available. For example, one can set the unit to have a 7.1-channel system in the main room and hook up two speakers on the patio and some of them in a bedroom. Besides, it’s possible to play the same audio in the main room and Zone 2 but leave Zone 3 off if desired.
Note that Zone 1 is for all sources, Zone 2 is for digital and some HDMI sources and Zone 3 is for analog sources only.
Summarizing the Onkyo TX-RZ920 review, I’d like to stress that it’s a multimedia device for audio fans. Tons of streaming options, numerous inputs, high power per channel, and multi-zone feature allows setting up a high-end system in a big house.More Details
- Advanced video processing
- Powerful audio performance
- Versatile receiver
- Support for the latest audio formats
- Potential reliability issues
- High-Resolution Audio, including FLAC, DSD, and Apple AirPlay Connectivity.
- Quality built-in functions.
- Automatic video scaling.
- Set up and configuring is easy due to MCACC.
- It can sound a bit too sharp, especially when cold.
- No eco mode.
- Apple AirPlay support.
- It supports the FireConnect protocol that lets you connect devices wirelessly.
- The detailed step-by-step instruction makes the installation and the calibration processes very easy.
- Smart TV application may pop up when you switch inputs.
- You cannot reassign inputs since they have to have the same designation as the HDMI inputs.
- HDMI ports may have connection issues that result in poor output signal quality.
- HEOS simplifies the management of the receiver to play Internet radio and other stream sources.
- The separation of the sound in the surrounding environment is clear to hear sound in movies moving around the room, as they should.
- No need to calibrate channel levels after the basic setup.
- The quality of the voice in the video is very clear.
- It's very hot, so you'll have to spend more money on the cooling system.
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A
- This AV receiver is equipped with special phono input jacks so you can connect your turntable and enjoy music from your vinyl record collection.
- Ability to connect to the system wireless surround speakers (MusicCast 20 or MusicCast 50).
- On the DSP tab were a lot of pre-set audio profiles for choosing.
- The Dolby Vision carried me away thanks to the amazing image.
- Tends to overheat, you will need an additional cooling system.