Top Rated In Wall Speakers: Why to Choose?
The requirement of the modern world for acoustics is “less space, more sound”. With the best in wall speakers carefully picked for a particular home media system, that hits the point. Having the speakers glued to the wall solves several issues at once:
- tiny room concern. In wall speakers do not require the space that floor and even shelf models take;
- positioning. There is no fiddling with stands for the speakers; they can be placed at any height and any place on the wall;
- universal use. The in wall speakers are usually versatile, featuring three channels’ performance and clean sound at any frequency, due to the additional vibration dampening by the wall.
Check out top picks in our detailed wall mounted speakers review!
Best in Ceiling Speakers: is It Handy?
Just recently, the in ceiling speakers had been the signature equipment of the cinema or music halls. Today they have migrated into homes and that is why:
- wiring off sight. The cables are hidden behind the ceiling / false ceiling, and for most rooms, it isn’t noticeable that the speakers are there until they start working;
- enhanced surround sound. The sound firing from the top takes the listener into an audio shower creating the effect of the complete immersion. Besides, the sound is also reflected by the floor, bouncing to the listener’s ears and making the soundstage more spacious;
- versatile sound effect. Combining ceiling speakers and ground models, and distributing the channels between them in different ways, the user can create multiple sound realities and modes, serving best for various purposes (movies, gaming, classical music, etc.).
See the top-quality models explained in the in ceiling speakers reviews!
In Wall / Ceiling Speakers Reviews
Best In Wall Speakers
The sturdy build and seamless performance within any acoustic system earn the top position on the in wall speakers review lists. The 8-inch drivers are supported by the rigid polymer cone filled with minerals and the heavy-duty composite baskets. They hold the drivers firmly in place ensuring distortion-free sound with high accuracy of frequency distribution and representation. The tweeter has 1-inch diameter and is metalized for the solid resistance to vibration. The woofer ensures bottom-low frequencies blending smoothly with the mids, creating the vast, spreading soundstage, with high concentration of the sound. The instruments and voices are outlined clearly, each line has a distinct character. These speakers feature the inimitable Polk Audio signature, delivering balanced, deep and rich audio with good dynamics. They could be called the best in wall speakers but for a bit too loaded upper midrange. The setup and equalization are simple, and the speakers combine well with other Polk acoustics and other high-quality brands.
- Wide sound dispersion with equal high accuracy and detailing in each location.
- Laser diagnostics tech ensures even hi-fi performance throughout the volume range.
- Grills can be painted to match any interior.
- Brittle plastic clamps require careful in-wall installation.
- High price.
This middle-class in-wall speakers provide the dainty design and high-quality original performance. Its premium components ensure the high sensitivity (90 dB) and vast frequency response (40 Hz – 20 KHz), with even natural performance at any volume or frequency level. Its small yet potent tweeter has pivoting design enabling the sound to flow freely into multiple directions staying concentrated on the distinct main line. Its soft dome brings warmth and reduces brightness at highs. The lows are confident reaching the sub-low frequencies and emitting spacious potent bass. The midrange is warm and the imaging is quite accurate.
The unique sound signature of this speaker is created by the highly accurate 12 dB crossover. It blends and distributes the frequencies with precision and enables crispness of sound at each level, creating dense and dynamic audio. It definitely holds the place among the best budget in wall speakers, while the proper installation must be insured for getting the quality performance.
- Detailed and balanced sound representation, even high-quality performance in any format and audio style.
- Bright design, orange woofer, and “trapped” tweeter immediately catching attention.
- Perform well in the Dolby Atmos format.
- At complex multi-instrument composition, the soundstage reveals gaps and the narrow character.
- The grill clamps might not be tight provoking the buzzing.
These futuristic-looking speakers could be called the best home theater in wall speakers but for the high-end cost. However, the significant value outweighs the cost. It’s a 2-way speaker with enhanced resonance protection and flexibility of usage. The swiveling 1-inch tweeter is supported by the soft dome and fluid-cooled design. It produces the crystal clean sound at the highest frequencies (up to 28 KHz) without going thin or overly bright. It also contributes to the variety of detail of the upper midrange, as well as to the sharp distinctness of dialog in the movie scenes.
The 8-inch woofer ensures deep steady bass with the enveloping effect. Its surge and immediate filling of the room is secured by the 140W output adding the strength and character to the sound. The integrated acoustic baffle is spiral and features the grainy texture to ensure consistent distortion-free sound flow and its even dispersion.
- Premium leveled surround design provides for the fluid and vibration-free sound.
- Dust- and moisture-resistant.
- Detachable magnet covers.
- The upper volume limit isn’t too high compared to its competitors.
- Push-type connections sometimes don’t catch from the first time.
Flexibility is the second name of these sleek in wall speakers, both in installation and performance. Its 1-inch tweeter is fortified by the titanium dome and can be swiveled to ensure the optimal sound concentration and dispersion, emitting balanced confident highs. Meanwhile, the efficient crossover operation allows these speakers to handle the frequencies up to 22 KHz efficiently, preserving the clarity of the dialogues and instruments, as well as the fullness of the sound effects.
Mids are rock-solid and concentrated, with good imaging and a bit heavy lower end. The bass has a nice dynamic surge; supported by 125W output, it brings enough depth with a lively dynamic pattern.
The speakers have flat monochrome design making them visually disappear on the white walls and stand out in a modern way on all others.
- Variable impedance enables compatibility with low-impedance acoustic equipment.
- Highly accurate response on all frequency levels.
- Supplied cutout template is comprehensive and makes installation a breeze.
- Detaching and attaching the grills requires practice and assisting tools.
- Bass isn’t “wall-shaking” boomy.
The most versatile in wall model on the list, this unit provides a mix of a pair of speakers combined in one housing. It features one tweeter situated in the middle and two woofers, all made of premium components. The tweeter has 1 inch in diameter and is directable. It is amplified by the signature Klipsch tractrix horn and features the diaphragm compression emitting the pure vibration-free highs, without metallic aftertaste.
Each of two orange woofers has 5.25 inches in diameter and produce loud and strong dynamic bass, which is void of any harshness. The lows are powerful and surging while blending naturally with lower mids. Midrange is warm and fluid, with a good amount of details. Dialogues are standing out even at lower volumes, while each sound effect is pictured in full, bursting out with nuance.
- 130W output additionally strengthened by horn design of the drivers provides dense and wide soundstage.
- Performs well as front, side or rear speaker.
- Adjustable position: vertical or horizontal.
- The grill isn’t easy to paint.
- High price.
Best Ceiling Speakers
This set of five fully functional ceiling speakers is definitely a lucrative offer for the money. Each speaker handles three channels worked out by the passive crossover and embraces a wide frequency response. The sensitivity is also on level with the most advanced models in this class: at 95 dB the audio comes as fluid and clear as at the average volume.
All components are performed of the high-quality materials and fit seamlessly. The rubber surround efficiently dampens all the resonance and vibration letting out no distortion at the most complex compositions and frequency blends. The tweeter is relatively small (0.5-inch diameter); its soft dome allows the sound to flow naturally and without the digital tint. The midrange is made of polypropylene and handles a vast range of frequencies. It goes balanced and with a lot of details, making the soundstage dense and developing.
The speakers feature full-size woofers (8 inches) with rigid poly cones. They emit rocking warm bass with the dynamic surge and confident gurgling roll-off.
- Immersive full surround sound in the Atmos mode.
- Wide power compatibility ensures hi-fi sound both at 20W and 350W.
- The low-profile design and the wall-lock technology enable simple installation.
- Highs sound a bit tinny at the pitch.
- The grill isn’t easy to remove (tweaking is needed).
These top rated ceiling speakers are made of the premium materials and equally fit for fully present surround sound and elegant and complex instrumental music listening. The thick rubber filling prevents any resonance making the sound balanced and steady, while mineral-enforced cones provide directional precise audio with efficient frequency distribution.
The tweeter has 1 inch in diameter and emits pitch-high crystal clear highs. The 8-inch woofer provides full all-encompassing bass developing in waves and becoming thunderous at the bottom-low level. It is housed in a composite basket for high clarity of performance and quick dispersion of the sound. The speakers fill the room gradually, the warmest and most concentrated audio belonging to the sweet spot. However, the lively dynamics and the slight roll-off effect support the rich and detailed soundstage, reaching over wider than expected.
Simple round design serves for the inconspicuousness of the speakers within any interior. Still, the covers can be painted in other colors to match the ceiling or let the speakers stand out of it.
- Sealed design.
- The tweeter can be swiveled at 15 degrees and deliver the sound right where it’s been intended.
- One of the most lightweight models on the list.
- Open back design requires a solid ceiling base to prevent distortion and vibration.
- Need a break-in to ensure the best performance.
This affordable model is one of the top ceiling speakers that are great for starter home theater systems. The simple yet solid design reveals two drivers that are built and positioned in the tailor-cut way to deliver the voluminous and detailed audio, with sharp outlines and fluid transitions.
The tweeter is placed in a soft cone making even the pitch-high notes sound natural and balanced. Enhanced with the overall high-quality speaker’s response, it lets out clean and full highs, if somewhat heavy at the lower end. Midrange frequencies tend to go lower as well, representing a dense soundstage with the full presence of the audio within every inch. The bass goes steadily providing a flushing attack and accurate roll-off. It doesn’t come below the stated frequency level of the 40 Hz; yet, provides a multidimensional effect and precise alignment within the working frequency range. With the 100W output, the speaker casts the audio from upwards, creating the complete immersion into the crisp sound.
- 6 dB crossover features the developed design to blend the frequencies with high precision.
- Swiveling tweeter provides wide dispersion with the preserved clarity and detail concentration.
- Original easily recognized design.
- Big size might cause trouble at the installation.
- The sound is transmitted to the ceiling / floor of the room above.
Versatility is the key concept of this two-speaker in ceiling system. This unit continues Yamaha tradition of the natural and freely flowing hi-fi sound with the sharp precision of each audio line.
The speakers are equipped with dual tweeters having ¾-inch in diameter that produce highly accurate highs. They can be adjusted to direct the sound into a sweet spot (and let other sounds be heard distinctly) or distribute it widely filling the space and creating the rich, ringing soundstage.
The 6.5-inch woofers with poly cones make a solid base for the audio imaging. The lows flow in a balanced and confident way, turning to the sharply outlined surge or a backstage mutter, depending on the actual sound effect and source. With 100W input and 150W output, these speakers emit highly potent, penetrating sound. They would certainly be called the best in ceiling speakers for surround sound if there would be more bass response at bottom-low frequencies.
- The woofer can be tilted to adjust the audio flow and dispersion to the listener’s liking.
- Professional ceiling integration results in zero vibration and resonance.
- Small size provides for the simple installation.
- Sensitivity isn’t high; the volume increase slightly hampers the sound quality.
- The grills require careful installation: bending alert.
This expensive set of ceiling mounted speakers has a signature Klipsch quality of performance and recognizable design. The two drivers emit a lot of sound filling the room instantly due to the efficient sound distribution through the tractrix horn. The titanium tweeter has 1 inch in diameter and produces rich dynamic treble with the pinpoint accuracy of representation. The 6.5-inch cerametallic low-end driver emits the rock-solid bass characteristic for much larger woofers of the professional kind. The lows are thunderous, steady-going and featuring a pleasant mellow tone creating the immersive highly concentrated soundstage. The mids are crystal clear, without any distortion or coloration. Lightweight design and comprehensive installation manual let set the speakers into their place within half an hour.
- The attenuation switches for high and midrange frequencies allow controlling and tweaking the performance.
- Balanced performance bursting with detail.
- Perfect Atmos integration (rear speakers).
- Small power output leads to the “lost” base in the dynamic surround sound scenes.
- High price tag.
In Wall and Ceiling Speakers Buying Guide
In wall and in ceiling speakers are usually chosen for places with limited space or as an addition to the existing acoustic set (e.g. the Atmos-enabling ceiling set). While the performance of this gear is estimated by the same parameters as that of floor-standing or bookshelf models, several moments must be considered:
- sound. The mounted speakers are additionally backed up by the wall or ceiling that could add solidity to the sound and decrease distortion. Otherwise, it could add unwanted resonance (with improper installation). That’s why the sound of the speakers not installed might seem non-promising. How to choose the well-performing speakers without installing them? The sturdy build and quality components are the factors to rely on.
- drivers. The in ceiling / in wall speakers don’t include large woofers or tweeters. However, the size is compensated by the rigid high-quality cones, pivoting design and efficient crossover. Some mounted speakers can produce deep rich sound encompassing the wide frequency range.
- installation. The in wall / in ceiling speakers are installed once and for long; their performance depends on the positioning significantly. That’s why the installation must be carefully planned beforehand.
Follow the scheme to complete the installation.
First of all, learn the basics. Check what material your wall or ceiling is made of, what is its conductivity and whether it is fit as a backup for in wall / in ceiling speakers. Study the electricity wiring plan and other communications in order to avoid collisions.
Then, choose the position. Moving the mounted speakers is much more difficult than simply replacing the stand-alone models. Thus, the optimal place should be calculated thoroughly beforehand. Use the regular templates for speaker’s positioning.
Get prepared. Many of the in wall / in ceiling speakers are installed directly into the existing surface. However, some setups and room designs require that the supporting constructions (like box frames) must be used.
Besides, use the tools. Many market models feature handy adjustments like rotating cams, etc. However, the simple tools (a screwdriver, hammer, stud finder) will secure the installation process and might turn very helpful.
- flexibility. The in wall / ceiling speakers can usually be used interchangeably. Still, the market analysis shows the ceiling-mounted models usually feature more adjustable options like swiveling or tilted drivers or an active crossover. The in ceiling / in wall speakers’ high sensitivity, precise frequency response, and directional drivers make them a good fit for several positions within an acoustic set. Depending on the actual performance, they can serve as front channels, side or rear ones. Certainly, the in ceiling speakers make a great choice for the height channels used in the Atmos / DTS enabled systems.