Choose quality within your means – Sony STRDH590 vs STRDH550
Sony STR-DH590 — your affordable way to have a home theater
I have recently had a chance to compare Sony STRDH590 vs Sony STRDH550 AV receivers and now I am eager to share my impressions.
Let’s start with the STRDH590. I’d say it’s a first-rate affordable surround sound receiver having plenty of power and a perfect combination of high-performance video capability and the Sony outstanding fidelity. What’s more important it’s easy to set up and even easier to use.
- The 5.2 multi-channel receiver perfectly brings image and colors to life due to 4K HDR pass-through ability. I enjoyed clearer picture when upgraded my existing home equipment with it.
- State of art surround sound, Sony’s D.C.A.C. system - Digital Cinema Auto Calibration is extremely convenient and user-friendly, it automatically analyzed my rooms’ acoustics and calibrate the sound allowing to adjust various audio levels. I was stricken with an optimized sound which resembled the one of a professionally installed system.
- Bluetooth connectivity, I not only managed to wirelessly stream my favorite tracks directly through the receiver but enjoyed operating my device from my smartphone via Bluetooth Standby feature.
- In addition to multiple input ports, it features a phono input stage. I was pleasantly surprised by the option, though to my mind it’s one of the last models to do so.
- Requires additional sub-woofer with external 120V AC power, doesn’t work with passive sub-woofer. It’s a drawback for those who don’t like to connect any additional equipment.
- The on-screen menu is primitive. However, I do not think it’s a big deal, as they are needed only for the initial set up.
Sony STRDH550 — well equipped and a well-priced receiver
STRDH550 is a simple and inexpensive way to enjoy music and movies. Model STRDH550 is a perfect budget-friendly receiver with surround sound, compatible with other Sony products.
- The wonderful multi-channel sound performance which created a multi-layered sound quality with HD Digital Cinema Sound and auto calibration. Quite a perfect price to quality match as for me.
- iPhone and iPod connectivity is quite user-friendly, besides, it handles all the components with 4 HD inputs and 4K.
- It has adequate inputs for old and new technology! I enjoyed HD a Sony PlayStation connectivity, also connected a Blu-ray Disc player, and some other HDMI-capable devices, a USB input on the front allows easily connecting and charging compatible devices.
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration allowed bringing the device ready for action in almost no time.
- No WiFi and no Bluetooth, in our age of wireless connection it’s already a sensitive inconvenience for the users.
- Poor printed documentation, but this problem is easily solved through the manual available online and easily downloaded.
Sony STRDH550 vs Sony STRDH590 - what do you prefer?
Let’s proceed with our Sony STRDH550 vs STRDH590 receiver comparison.
In case you can’t do without wireless connection – then go for STRDH590. It does not have WiFi, however, Bluetooth solves the problem.
Don’t expect a dolby surround from STRDH550, while STRDH590 offers it to the users. If you are a music enthusiast, then possibly it’s a decisive factor for you.
In case you are a fine judge of video, then STRDH550 beats the opponent out, as it has a 3D pass-through ability and better video conversion/scaling opportunities.
Both models fit between the lower-end Sony receivers and their pricier options, both do everything they are supposed to well and nothing terribly. Though it's not classic hi-fi, these inexpensive and unobtrusive sets would more than fill the bill.